History

ELVINGTON HISTORY

From the Domesday entry:

In Elvington, Ulfketill had 6 carucates of land taxable, where 3 ploughs are possible

Now, Aethelwulf has it from William. He has there 1 plough

And 3 villagers with 1 plough

There is a church

2 fisheries paying 1000 eels

Meadow, 10 acres, woodland pasture, 1 league long and ½ wide

The whole 1 league long and 1 wide

Value before 1066 40s, now 10s

Richard Neville ‘The Kingmaker’ once held the Manor of Elvington

Laurence Sterne spent a few years of his childhood living at the Hall

The manorial rights were sold in 1891 and no more is known of them

In the 12th century Meaux Abbey was granted a cartload of wood from Elvington

There were weavers mentioned in 1390

Wheldrake lane was built in the 18th century

The font inside the church is of Norman origins

There have been at least 3 churches including the present one

The chestnut tree on the corner of Dauby lane was planted in 1935

Which was also the site of the village pinfold

The Parish Hall was formerly the village school and was built in 1858

Church lane cottages were built in the 1860s

Green lane used to be road to Wheldrake before the Enclosure in 1743

The bus shelter was built in 1953 to mark the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II

The Post office has been in 5 different places in the village, Glencoe, Cobwebs, Fairleigh, The Old Post Office, and Greensides

The doctor's surgery has also moved around, first it was at Albion House, then The Glenn, then Brook House.

Then on the side of the Old Rectory and now in its present location

At the Sports field

The Willows was the home of the village butcher for over 100 years

Facts

The first ‘Lock’ house was built in 1782.

Money was left in the 14th century to build a bridge, before then there was a ferry.

The Raney family were the village blacksmiths for over 100 years; they were at what now is Blacksmith’s close.

The pub was once in one of the cottages on the Green.

The ‘new’ school was built on the corner of Dauby lane in 1969.

The Jefferson family bought the shop at the beginning of the 20th century.

Derwent House was once owned by some members of the Rowntree family (chocolate makers)

Shelly's History website.